I am an environmental scientist and did my Ph.D. at the research group Governance, Participation & Sustainability at Leuphana University Lüneburg. I also contributed to the projects MULTAGRI and EDGE. My research focusses on governance for a sustainable agriculture, especially on the role of collaboration of different kinds of actors on different levels.
- May 2012 – March 2019: Ph.D. student at research group Governance, Participation & Sustainability at Leuphana University Lüneburg, title of the thesis: “Governing for Sustainable Agriculture in the EU: Promoting Multi-Stakeholder Collaboration”
- October 2015 – December 2016: Research associate in the MULTAGRI project.
May 2012 – July 2015: scholarship holder of the Innovation-Incubator of the Leuphana University Lüneburg
- April 2010 – April 2012: research assistant in the erc-funded project “Evaluating the Delivery of Environmental Governance using an Evidence-based Research Design (EDGE)”
- October 2004 – March 2010: Environmental Sciences (Diploma) at Leuphana University Lüneburg, majors: environmental chemistry, environmental and sustainability communication
- May – June 2009: research stay in Ijuí, Brazil for data collection for the diploma thesis “Perspectives for the Sustainability of Soy Bean Cultivation in the Northwest of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil: A Social Network Analysis”
- September 2007 – February 2008: Internship at the Instituto de Biologia of the Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), Brazil: Participation in the coordination of a network of farmers and institutions for agroecological agriculture
Velten, S., Jager, N. W., & Newig, J. (2021). Success of collaboration for sustainable agriculture: a case study meta-analysis. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 23, 14619-14641 [free open access content].
Leventon, J., Schaal, T., Velten, S., Loos, J., Fischer, J., & Newig, J. (2019). Landscape-scale biodiversity governance: Scenarios for reshaping spaces of governance. Environmental Policy and Governance, 29(3), 170-184.
Velten, S., Schaal, T., Leventon, J., Hanspach, J., Fischer, J., & Newig, J. (2018). Rethinking biodiversity governance in European agricultural landscapes: Acceptability of alternative governance scenarios. Land Use Policy, 77, 84-93.
Velten, S. (2018). Governing for Sustainable Agriculture in the EU: Promoting Multi-Stakeholder Collaboration [Dissertation]. Leuphana Universität Lüneburg [free open access content].
Leventon, J., Schaal, T., Velten, S., Dänhardt, J., Fischer, J., Abson D.J., & Newig, J. (2017). Collaboration or fragmentation? Biodiversity management through the common agricultural policy. Land Use Policy, 64, 1-12.
Leventon, J., Newig, J., Schaal, T., & Velten, S. (2016). Governance approaches to address scale issues in biodiversity management – current situation and ways forward. MultAgri Policy Brief. MULTAGRI. 03/2016.
Velten, S. (2016). Collaboration for a more sustainable agriculture – when does it work? 12th IFSA Symposium, Harper Adams University, Newport, Shropshire, UK [free open access content].
Velten, S., Leventon, J., Jager, N., & Newig, J. (2015). What Is Sustainable Agriculture? A Systematic Review. Sustainability 7, 7833–7865 [conference proceeding paper][free open access content].
Velten, S. (2014). When are collaborative interventions for a more sustainable agriculture successful? Towards an analytical framework. The 4th World Sustainability Forum [conference proceeding paper][free open access content].
Velton, S. (2009). Perspektive für die Nachhaltigkeit des Sojaanbaus im Nordwesten von Rio Grande do Sul, Brasilien: Eine Akteursnetzwerkanalyse (Diplomarbeit). Leuphana Universität Lüneburg [free open access content].